Monday, 16 January 2017

Blue Monday..

Hello all,how are you today?


Well i have been hearing about Blue Monday on the radio and tv for a few days now.
Its the most depressing day of the year according to some experts.
Why?
1,today is the day everyone receives their credit card bills from December..so if you over spent then today is the day you regret it.
2, your running low on funds and scrimping pennies together to make it to pay day.
3, the weather is awful..dull,grey and cold which mixed with the above makes it a pretty grim day.
4,and finally the reality of it all hits you like a brick and you vow to not overspend again..most mean it but most don't and forget all about it until next time.

So ladies is it a Blue day for you?
Here at flowertot mansion its buisness as usual..up and breakfast,schooling all done and a lovely afternoon reading .
No stress or worry about credit card bills or even any bills at all.
We didn't overspend at Christmas..mainly because we just don't have the money or a credit card to overspend on. The number 1 rule in the budget of our house is..if you can't afford it then you save for it.Its saved us many a time..we save and have a set budget for food every week..and that sometimes doesn't get used up so its rolled over to the next week.
All it takes is planning and absolutely sticking to your list..don't be tempted..i can't stress enough about meal planning..go through the pantry,fridge and freezer to see what you have then plan your menu around it..we love leftovers here.I often have leftover mash..i fry it up with an egg and some ham..lovely quick lunch.



This week end i roasted a lovely bit of beef..had quite a bit left over so that has done tea last night and lunch today..i have about 4 slices left so that will do my son's lunch for work..
My hubby was telling me earlier that a colleague from work spends £7 a day on coffee..and that is the price for just one..then at least £4 for lunch..good grief, out came my calculator..so that is £55 a week and working it at a years worth is..£2.860
That total is for 52 weeks as she has it wether she is at work or not..i was in shock that is my food budget for a week..infact i probably spend less than that.No wonder they always moaned about being broke.





Our philosophy is..buy a flask and take a lunch..saves you in the long run..it does make me chuckle when people moan about it..and one famous comment that made me laugh is "only poor people take a lunch to work"..really? How do you feel about taking your own coffee and lunch to work..does it make you feel poor or certain in the knowledge your saving money?Plus you always get what you want to eat when you do it yourself and not have to take whats left after the lunchtime rush.

So ladies i would be interested to hear if you do packed lunches and what you put in them?
Have a good day or whats left of it
sara



23 comments:

  1. I've had a great day today, I only knew it was Blue Monday because of blogs! The sun was out so I did a load of work in the garden, looks almost tidy now. My chap came home with some yellow stickered veg and I managed to fix something that had been bugging me for a while.

    No problem with taking food to work with us here, everyone at the charity shop takes food in with them and the chap gets loads of positive attention with his homemade bread, sandwich fillings, soups etc. at work. Better than having to go out into the cold at lunchtime to find something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool..no queuing in the cold for you..wonderful.
      sara

      Delete
  2. When my husband worked (before retirement) he always took a packed lunch. Sometimes it was just a basic sandwich with different fillings with some fruit and an energy bar. At other times he'd take a selection of fruit, cold cooked pasta with a sauce, ryvitas and cheese with fruit. Sometimes, for a change he would use the subsidised works canteen. He would always take a drink, diluted fruit juice and he always took a supply of coffe and sugar to make himself a hot drink. Definitely saved money.

    Joan (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my hubby always took a pak up..flask of coffee and juice in the summer..saved us an absolute fortune
      sara

      Delete
  3. Packed breakfast and packed lunch here, when my L&M in on the early shift we have to be at work by 6:30 and neither of us want to eat that early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O yes sometimes i have had to do a packed breakfast for my man..not really awake properly at stupid o clock..
      sara

      Delete
  4. I always took a packed lunch when I worked, and hubby took one too. The girls had packed lunches at school and college and both of them cooked proper meals when they were at uni; they definitely didn't exist on Pot Noodles and takeaways! My younger one and her friend who lived in another flat used to go over to one another's places and cook together as it was cheaper. They had homemade soups, shepherd's pies and roast dinners etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my man and girls did as well..i am pleased to say that when they left home they could all cook and did nice meals for themselves and partners..much cheaper than a take away
      sara

      Delete
  5. I have always taken my lunch to work! It's usually a salad of some kind in the summer and dinner leftovers in the short winter (I live in Florida). I buy a coffee maybe once a year..Starbucks hasn't made very much money from me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we do salads in the summer and a flask of soup in the winter with some crusty rolls..nope my husband absolutely refuses to buy coffee or tea or anything else..bless him.
      sara

      Delete
  6. My large bowl of homemade soup made with mainly home grown vegetables and a yellow sticker bread roll cost me the grand total of 4p and was a lovely filling and healthy lunch. Luckily we have tea and coffee provided for us at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is thrifty..souns delicious too.
      At my hubbys place of work..you have to buy the milk,coffee,sigar and tea..and then everyone else uses it..he has never bought anything and refuses to..he is like a rock..
      sara

      Delete
  7. I am with you Sara, if we can't afford it we can't have it we have no cards, so many people will be regretting their Christmas spends for sure x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly..if we can't afford it we won't be borrowing to pay for it..we have no credit cards at all..yes i see a lot of miserable faces with the reality of the over spend last month.
      sara

      Delete
  8. Always packed lunches when Hubby and I worked. Now we are home most of the time and enjoy having whatever we want.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we are at home we have what we like as well..mainly soup or leftovers for our lunches..in the summer we do have a paked lunch and take it in the garden..picnic time..so nice
      sara

      Delete
  9. Ha ha - you just don't have lady readers :-)
    I so agree about the huge waste with bought lunches and coffees. I watch so many colleagues spend easily $20 daily on food and coffee - that is $5K a year literally down the loo. Boiled eggs are so 'portable and they always feature in my lunches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi..i apologize..so sorry..lovely to have a man on my blog.
      Yes its a total waste of money when you could use that money for something else..i can't count how much it has saved us over they years and i adore home made egg sandwiches..
      sara

      Delete
  10. I work at a public library here in the States, and out of about 20 workers, only 2 of us bring packed lunches from home! When I was a kid in school (60's & 70's) we all brought our lunches to school with us. It's unheard of these days. Official school lunches are provided for those whose families are low income, and the other students buy theirs as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi..o thats shocking only 2 of you..i agree back in the 60's.70's,80's packed lunches were we the absolute thing to have..we were talking and think it was the advent of vending machines and cheap burger and coffee places that sounded the demise of the packed lunch..do you think that or that people just got lazy?
      sara

      Delete
  11. My husband is now retried but when he worked, he took a packed lunchbox and snacks. It saves money, is healthier and he preferred to be able to sit and relax for his hour long lunch break, not out grabbing food.
    All of his coworkers got fast food breakfast in the way to work and went out for fast food lunches at noon. Yes, they were all broke all the time and are still working.
    My husband was able to retire early because we were careful with money.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Evening, Sara,

    I just found your blog and I must tell you I'm enjoying your recent posts.
    I must say I've never heard of "Blue Monday" until reading this blog post. Happy to say the only debt we carry is our mortgage and we are hoping to pay that off this year.

    Who ever said only poor people take their lunches? How do those who say that think the wealthy BECOME wealthy and STAY wealthy ... The wealthy are wise with their earnings and protect their savings. The wealthy certainly do not frivolously spend money.

    As far as our family packing a lunch ... you bet we do. Mr.B takes a lunch most often I and our homeschooled children are home most days. Since Mr.B has a microwave and refrigerator available to him, I generally send him a dinner plate of various supper-time leftovers. If we are traveling during pleasant weather, I pack a box and cooler with picnic type foods. It is always relaxing to stop at a scenic picnic area for a quick bite to eat while on the road.

    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
  13. I make my lunch everyday, only bought my lunch twice last year, and that grieved me. It is often the same lunch everyday, although I always take soup in winter.I have also converted my husband to making his meal for work each night he loves saving money now.

    ReplyDelete

I will reply to everyone..however i will remove if its rude or trolling.