Anyone for Onions.

Hello all,how are you today?
Well its started..the chaps disappeared up to the allotments this afternoon and a few hours later came home with a wheel barrow full of these...



I haven't even counted them..i am going to make chutney and some onion soup with them..maybe save some for salads and quiches too. Haven't they done well.
We are eating new potatoes and have had some courgettes,the raspberries are coming nicely and so are the strawberries. The rhubarb is ready and will  be brought home this week so i can make crumbles and pies and i will freeze some to make jam. I am hoping to fill my freezer with delicious desserts that will see us through the year. I absolutely love to pull a crumble out the freezer in the middle of winter and warm it up and think back to all the work that went into prepping it all as we reap the rewards in the cold.There is something so satisfying about that.

Spotted this chap.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This little fella almost got crushed by me as i didn't spot him..master of camouflage.He stayed there all day,isn't he lovely.I love the way his colour almost matches my prop.
So smart.
How about you ladies/gents have you got stuff ready for the freezer and to see you through the year?
sara

Comments

  1. Hi Sarah

    Not specifically things for the freezer but I have been making a lot of jam and intend to go onto the bottling shortly i.e. home made tomato passata and tomato sauce for pasta which I usually make every year although I am hoping to get a canner shortly which should help make light work of this sort of thing. Its lovely to have home grown stuff makes all the difference. But I do what I can utilising fresh traditional markets and bargains that I spot in stores that I go in on a regular basis. you have to make the most of what comes your way but a garden full of veggies that is indeed manna from the gods. Enjoy.

    Pattypan

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pattypan you are so right..we feel truly lucky to have the produce we do have..i will be making jams and chutneys as soon as time allows me to..ooh i have seen the canners and they do look good..
      sara

      Delete
  2. Wow, brilliant onions they put mine to shame!

    I tend to string onions once they are fully dry rather than use them all up. They will keep for months this way. Or another method is to use an old pair of tights. Simply drop an onion down into the toe then tie a knot above it and then another onion and another knot etc until you reach the top. Once the legs are full you can hang them over a hook or nail in a cool dry place (a shed or outhouse is ideal. When you want an onion you simply snip below the lowest knot, leaving all the others hanging safely. The knots separating them stop them from touching and so if any othe them goes mouldy it will not affect the others.

    Just make sure you don't also store your daffodil bulbs the same way as my Dad once did, my Mum sent me out to get an onion and I got a daffodil bulb (which to my defence did look very similar) Mum thought all the onions had gone slimy ... well that was after she sent me out for another, and then another and only then did we realise what was going on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue..o yes we will be stringing quite few of these as well..i love to have them hanging up in my back shed..looks so homey.We don't have Daffodil bulbs in the same place thankfully..that made me chuckle about yours.
      sara

      Delete
  3. I keep picking strawberries, not enough for a dessert so not worth letting the birds have them... my excuse and I am sticking to it. Peas are, beetroot and runner beans are coming along nicely. Tomatoes all have flower trusses and the basil is looking ok.... not great, but ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie.we have had the grand total of 3 strawberries..and they were delicious,didn't quite make it to the table but got as far as the kitchen and were devoured by me and hubby.
      We have got Cucumbers and our tomatoes are all coming through as well.
      sara

      Delete

Post a Comment

I will reply to everyone..however i will remove if its rude or trolling.

Popular Posts